[meteorite-list] What makes a hammer a hammer?

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:10:55 -0800 (PST)

Steve and List,

  Steve, are you absolutely sure the core came from THE Hodges's stone ( the one that struck her) and NOT the McKinney stone??? I have not actually seen the Hodge's stone in person, and maybe you have, so you MAY be right. But ... if I may quote a few words from "one of our illustrious members'" ( who I hope doesn't mind me using them, and that he will join in the discussion, too ) website that state:

  "....There were two stones - the one that hit the human and one other. The one that hit the human is the centerpiece in a local museum. No one has ever had access to it. However,the second stone is in the Smithsonion and though the remainder has never been available to the public, it did have one core drilled in it. This core ended up in the collection of Dr.
King. After his death his widow allowed it to be cut into about 10 whafer slices all of which all ended up as primary specimens in private collections."

  So have you seen THE Hodges' stone in person and saw that there actually IS a hole drilled into THAT very one????

  Thanks,
  Robert Woolard