[meteorite-list] Progress or ruination?

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:14:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi Steve,

You do make some good points that are well worth considering. I am
not an enemy of progress, but I do hate to see this progress come
at the cost of the surrounding natural environment or the dignity of
local cultures. It's a fine line to walk. I do think that all peoples
should be able to read, write, voice their opinions, and be free to
pursue whatever makes them happy if it hurts nobody else - even
if that happiness is a gold mansion with a platinum toliet seat, or
if it's a hand-hewn log cabin in the Ozarks.

Steve, I really envy this part of your reply :

"NOTICE: All these comments come from a guy who lives in the sticks of
Arkansas, in a dry county without a single movie theater or even a single stop
light, who lives in a hand hewn dog trot log cabin built in 1866 and who just
got TV a couple of weeks ago and who home schools his kids."

I used to live in a dry county in rural northern Mississippi (New
Albany), and I loved the lack of hustle and bustle. I am one of
those people you mention who wants to get back to a simpler lifestyle.
And my fantasies of a National-Geographic-like trip to the Atacama
has just been squashed by visions of Land Rovers full of well-heeled
tourists and highways strewn with trash. I guess we still have
the Gobi in rural Mongolia. I have a penpal over there whose mother
is a shaman and lives in a yurt. He says the skies are fantastically
dark and there is no development outside of the major cities. Now
that sounds like paradise to me.

BTW, shouldn't the Gobi be a good source of meteorites? I asked
him about this, but I don't recall what he said. I'll have to go
dig for his reply in my inbox mountain.

I apologize as well for getting this off-topic.

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale