[meteorite-list] Comet smashes triggered ancient famine ???

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:13:30 -0800 (PST)

Fair point, but it may well be a poor choice of words on my point.

The "Swarms"/"showers" you mention are what are suggested in the book.
Several objects arriving in quick sucession are not unusual, however.
There is evidene of it happening on most solid bodies. They all have strings of impact craters where many objects obviously arrived in a matter of hours producing chains of craters.
My problem with this is that the authour is perhaps suggesting several over the last few millenia. If the "chain" events were that prevalant, one would expect them to dominate on solid bodies and they don't.

Your points are well made. I was not aware that SL9 was in orbit of Jupiter. The implications of this are complex and I'll need to check how long for. I Doubt it was for long but even so, how this is related to comets and the earth is beyond me at this time.

Rob