[meteorite-list] Rock and roll on Mars

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:45:21 -0800 (PST)

This is a wonderful explanation. It is incredibly simple but almost certainly right.

I have seen a similar effect on the windswept beaches of the Western Isles. OK, we're only talkin about a few feet but you get a similar effect (before the tide comes in and wipes it clean).

Often I have seen trains of tiny particles behind a stone on the beach when the wind blows strongly but consistently. Pits do form in front of obstacles and while I've never seen a rock move forward (that's the only bit I have a problem with) into the wind, you do see trains behind them.

While most of us would easily recognise Universal Gravitation, General Relativity and Quantum Electro Dynamics as genius, the minds that think of these things are far in advance of us "everyday" mortals. The everyday bores the Einsteins, Newtons and Yukawa's.
It takes a special type of genius to spot the everyday stuff like this. The sort of thing we think we could have come up with if only we were a little smarter.
Whether this turns out to be right or wrong as an explanation, I take my hat off (and I really do wear a hat, it's an Indiana Jones type one..how sad) to the proponent of this theory.

Rob McC