[meteorite-list] Northwest Africa Falls - Question

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:52:54 -0800 (PST)

It is interesting, but I really think that the same amount of falls are happening elsewhere, but Africa is a hodgepodge of wars and problems, and meteorite falls are likely mostly ignored or just lost in the noise of Africa's various crisis.

It can not be denied that these falls are real, anyone who has seen a fresh Chergach, Bengerir, or Bensour, covered in soft crust and bubbles, many weighing less than 100 milligrams, these can not be from anything other than fresh falls. I have jars of tiny Bensour and Chergach stones all less than 1/4 gram.

I think these falls are recovered because there is hardly a person in Mauritania or Morocco that does not know about meteorites and the money they bring.

I give an example. NWA 801, it is a very rare and beautiful CR2. It is also found at the Zagora airport. This is just a dirt strip, but a large one. When I used to go there to buy pieces, I would be mobbed by people with stones, all wrapped in pieces of plastic bags that are stuck in every Acacia tree in the area. Old people, kids, all had found stones, and even as I searched in vain, they found stones near me. They all knew to sell them by weight, looking at my scale set up on the hod of the car. Some of these people were nomads, right out of National Geographic. No education, no home other than tents, but they knew that these were meteorites and that people like me paid well for them.
Anything that falls in NWA area will not go unnoticed!

Michael Farmer