[meteorite-list] Swedish Fireballs with pasta and sauce

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 07:44:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi Martin and list,

The Danish law (and others like it) are excellent examples of human
arrogance. No man or government ever "owns" a meteorite. We are
only temporary caretakers of these cosmic relics. The lifespan of
the most enduring Earthly government is but an eye blink on the
cosmic timeline. I always laugh when I consider the hubris of men,
and the concept of a government owning all meteorites that happen
to fall on a piece of land that the same government stole from someone
else is the height of human arrogance. Last time I checked, the
Danish (or anyone for that matter) were not the original inhabitants
of the land they now claim. Ownership of the Earth below our feet
or the rocks from the sky above is a privilege granted by the Goddess
of Chance - and nothing more. When the weak body of man or the flimsy
apparatus of the state crumbles into dust like the monuments of
Ozymandias, these 4+ billion year old relics will continue on with
their strange journey - regardless of what fool signs a piece of paper
and claims ownership.

I now have 52 localities in my collection....do I own them? No.

I am just lucky enough that Fate placed them in my loving hands, so
I may look after them until it comes time for me to rejoin the stars.

Laws like these (that Martin mentioned) hurt everyone and benefit no one.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com

Message: 11