[meteorite-list] Update: Asteroid 136849 approaching (over 1 km indiameter)

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:59:47 -0500

Hi Bob, sorry I didn't catch this sooner, and wish I could have helped
more so you could see probable biggest ordinary chondrite of your life.
I was skunked and I'm a bit unhappy at the moment for losing the sleep.

I don't know where you live, but assuming it is close to lat. 39 Deg
56' 23"; long. W. 105? 8' 24", the asteroid will have dropped to the
14.5 magnitude and rise tonight at 01:25 AM MST. The 3/8's of a Moon
will follow at 01:59 AM MST.

So, you are probably out of luck, even if an accurate finders chart
existed. Due to the closeness of the asteroid you really ought to
specify where you are, and when you are observing (I bet you can easily
get an error of several minutes from different positions on Earth). On
top of that, there is uncertainty in the position even for a fixed
single observer, as this is really pushing the orbital elements to an
extreme (though after this pass, indubitably Arecibo and Goldstone
observations and the resulting orbital refinements will make this more
plausible in the near future).

The best bet as this point is to beg, borrow or steal the combination
for the Denver Astronomical Club's dark sky site East of your
metropolis, where these observations now could be made with a good
telescope with star drive and lots of luck or experience or both.

If you have a planetarium program, you might try these orbital elements
(they are not guaranteed
, I'm very tired!):

Epoch: 2454856.50000 (2009/1/25 0:00:00)
o (argument of perihelion): 97.46551
O (longitude of ascending node): 110.94293
i (inclination): 7.78920
e (eccentricity): 0.5782656
a (semimajor axis): 1.4916402 AU
M (mean anomaly): 336.59998
T (perihelion date): 2454234.35924 (2007/5/13 20:37:18)
q (perihelion distance): 0.62908 AU
H (mean visual magnitude): 17.62
G (magnitude slope factor): 0.15

In my first post I gave the link to orbital elements that would have
allowed you to generate your personal star chart in any worthy
planetarium program, I'm sorry you missed them. The second post then
listed what Goldstone and Arecibo are using, I believe, or at least
coordinates). By now something like that which is of questionable help
for star-hopping but shows the asteroid being clobbered by Hercules'
club (near Club star: Kornephoros) at exactly 3:00AM MST (Estimated
Asteroid position: RA 16 32 44, Dec. +19 22 56, mag. 14.5) and then
bonking the Hero of song and story's constellation directly in the head
(Head star: Ras Algethi), 20 hours later:

www.diogenite.com/136849SUP.jpg

Note, while the distance has increased only about 15% from closest
approach, due to the Sunlit portion (phase) the major fading is taking
place. This can be visualized better by referring to the orbital
diagram I gave a link to in the first post where the orbital elements
are found.

Best wishes and Great Skies, hope I didn't make a
mistake as if anyone
would really try this, considering Pluto will be twice as bright at the
time mentioned than the asteroid that is the object of my recent
crush...
Doug