[meteorite-list] Strangeness over Lake Placid, Florida

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:39:55 -0500

Dear List Members,

I suspect we will see something posted on the List within the next couple
days regarding a loud roaring noise over Lake Placid, Florida at about 8:20
PM tonight January 27th.

I was working at my computer when I heard the first "roaring" sound that was
too loud for one of the small private planes that land at the local private
airport on occasion. Thinking it was just a fighter jet taking a different
route from Homestead Air Force base pretty far south of here, I thought not
too much about it for the first half minute or so.

On a second thought, I headed outside just in time to hear a second
"roaring" sound build up as I looked upwards to the north. At that specific
time, I saw two small shooting stars, and then the flashing of a jet going
south and then bank to the east and fly off and upward. I do not know if it
was two jets or one flying over two times within a couple minutes. The sound
of its engines and the distance of its after burner flames, along with its
flashing wing lights suggests it was hauling ass!

I do not know if the two "shooting stars" were a coincidence or flares shot
from the jet. Several of my neighbors were coming outside and looking
upwards to see what the commotion was all about.

Very strange! I will be sure to watch the local news tonight to see what was
happening.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe