[meteorite-list] H4? the terdaght meteorite fall

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 07:03:57 -0800 (PST)

Thank You Ben--I don't disagree. Apparently it has already been resold but my point was how does one "estimate" that the meteorite was an H4 if there were no chondrules visible? It isn't impossible, I guess, but on the face value of the statement is hard for me to visualize how an H4 can "look like" an H6 but be an H4. I was trying to establish the basis for the claim of H4 vs H6.

I realize it is not necessarily the quantity of chondrules over the state of the chondrules metamorphasis that determines petrology. I know that in all the H4s in my possession I can easily distinguish chondrules. Apparently there are enough informed members that there is something legitimate to the estimate.

Perhaps we've an H4 with a major void of chondrules within a portion of the matrix and that is very noteworthy if it proves out.

Elton