[meteorite-list] Help me spend my money! Need buying advice.

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:03:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi friends and listees!

It's me again, and things are heating up now in our move from Louisiana
to Tampa. Besides moving, I am stocking up on the necessary tools
of the meteorite hunting/preparation trade. I have little or no
experience with metal detectors, lapidary saws, and this other stuff
I am asking about. So I hope to tap into the collective wisdom of
this list - that way I don't waste my money buying the wrong stuff.

1) Can someone recommend a professional quality, SMALL, lapidary saw?
For now, I will only be cutting small stones and irons - nothing
bigger than golf-ball or baseball-sized specimens. If possible,
I'd like to keep the cost of a new saw down to $500 or less. If
someone can point me to a bargain at around $250, even better.

2) Can someone recommend a very good metal detector? The detector
will be used mostly for meteorites, but will also serve double duty
looking for civil war relics, gold, and other prospecting. This
detector should perform best with meteorites with the other stuff
like gold being secondary. If possible, I'd like to keep the cost
of the detector to around $250 or $300.

3) Can someone recommend a SMALL, hand-held GPS unit?

4) Can someone recommend a premium-quality, hand diamond file for
filing windows on specimens in the field.

5) What is the best online source for USGS Topo maps?

Thanks in advance and thanks for putting up with my endless questions!

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com