[meteorite-list] Another awful meteorite-related TV event

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 21:17:21 -0700 (MST)

Hi Sterling:

Sounds more reasonable, if destroying everything is reasonable.

Any idea how often these occur? This is 5 times the diameter of either
Sudbury or Vredefort and these are more than a billion years old.

Maybe this is big enough to punch through the mantle and bury itself in
magma.

Larry

> Hi, Larry, List,
>
> Yes, I am WRONG! However, my mistake was not the
> one you hypothesized. The Wikipedia gives mass in
> kilograms and I reduced the quantity by 1000 to
> convert it to tons (10^18 kg = 10^15 metric tons),
> correctly.
>
> No, it was density. I think in grams per cubic centimeter
> when I think density. Water = 1.0, rock = 2.5, and
> so forth. The training is strong; one thinks in specific
> density. But the online Calculator wants kilograms
> per cubic meter, where water = 1000, rock = 2500, and
> so forth.
>
> So I calculated the impact of a 100 kilometer diameter
> SNOWFLAKE ! One with a specific density of about
> 0.022, a little fat for a snowflake, actually... So, if you
> ever want to know what impact a really big snowflake
> would have, you've got it now.
>
> The actual figures? The energy is 304,000,000,000
> megatons. The crater is 1240 km (770 miles) across
> and would be 2500 meters deep before it fills with
> melt. The impact would melt 2,000,000 CUBIC MILES
> of the Earth's crust, and the melt zone extends to a
> depth of 35 kilometers, which in some places would
> take it down into the mantle itself, and it would
> certainly rebound and produce basalt flooding of
> incomprehensible magnitude, likely enough to flood
> and re-surface an entire continent. The "crater"
> would be a complex multi-ringed basin about the
> same size as the Moon's Mare Imbrium!
>
> Big enough for you now?
>
> This is a continent destroyer. The shock of the impact,
> would be a world-wide Richter Scale 12.3, strong enough
> to kill all animal life. The wind at the antipodeal point to
> the impact would be 385 mph. At just a quarter of the way
> around the planet (10,000 km away), the winds would
> be 835 mph.
>
> The fireball of the impact would be over 300 kilometers
> in diameter (190 miles) and it would be visible for 5570
> kilometers (3500 miles). The thermal flux would be 53
> times brighter than the Sun and everything organic within
> the line of sight would combust. This fireball would persist
> for nearly 8 hours (7 hours 42 minutes) before cooling
> enough to collapse. The shock wave there (3500 miles
> away) would be over 2000 mph, or about Mach 3.
>
> Major extinction event, clearly.
>
> I can't speak to the roaches; no one knows what it takes
> to wipe them out, if indeed it's even possible. Still, at
> the worst, the sulfur-eating thermophiles in the deep
> vents would survive just fine, fat and happy, and they
> could start this evolution thing all over again, something
> they've probably had to do before, as the universal inclusion
> of the 16S rna ribosome in most living things attests to.
>
> A little better?
>

> Sterling K. Webb

>>> 114 Kassandra, if rock, has to be at a minimum of