[meteorite-list] New fall politics

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 15:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

Greg, take a chill pill.

I know you are enthusiastic and rearing to go, and I will cut you some slack for saying what you said. It is not right though.
We are not keeping this secret to sell for $100 gram, buy the way, not one person who sold West for $100 gram is here. I my have sold one stone near that price, but I gave almost as many as I sold away for free! We are not driven by greed, but a unique opportunity to search happily, slowly, do proper work, and all be friends, not like West where hours after getting permission to hunt we were told another team made a better offer and to pack our bags or thrown off land by gunpoint because so many people showed up. Do you think it would be any different here if we announced today? Tomorrow we would no longer be welcome guests on that land but unwanted pests! We gave the green light to allow the news story in West to break, and less than 12 hours later the flood and nightmare began.
There is no rush here, no plows are coming to destroy the strewn field, most is in pristine desert, so any stone on the surface will likely be there 100 years from now. We can hunt in peace without competition, backstabbing, fighting, or negotiating. What problem can you see with this? I know if you are not there it is tough, but see our point of view. This may be a once in a lifetime event for Jack and for those of us fortunate enough to know him well. He bought his first meteorite from me, and has hunted on the other side of the planet with me, so he trusts me enough to invite me along, and I appreciate that very much.

The science will be done, no stones will be disappearing into pockets and jumping onto eBay without all data being recorded, at least until the followers come.
Relax, Dr Schrader himself just told the list that when he is ready, the location will be made public and all will get a chance. Trust me, this is a large area and very rough and stones will remain to be found for a very long time.

Relax, bide your time, that will get you an invite much faster than with a public attack Greg.
Michael Farmer