[meteorite-list] Arizona fall

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:00:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 7/5/09, cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson at cox.net> wrote:
> Jeff, This area is overwhelmingly
> state land. It is fenced entirely and at every gate it is
> clearly posted No Trespassing and entry requires a permit.
> Very serious and scary signs. And lots of Border patrol in
> area. I would say that a border patrol passes every two
> minutes on all of the roads in southern AZ. If nothing else
> these signs keep law abiding citizens like me out. Is there
> a way around this? Carl
> --
> Carl or Debbie Esparza
> IMCA 5829
> Meteoritemax

I believe you must get a prospecting permit to hunt on State Land. I'd check with the State Land Department.

Here's what I turned up.

---
Arizona State Trust lands are not public lands such as National Parks or Federal Forests. Any use of State Trust land requires a permit from the Arizona State Land Department with a few exceptions. Permits are available in several formats to accommodate individual, family and group needs.
The Minerals Section of the Arizona State Land Department (ASLD) is responsible for mining / mineral activities on State Trust land.
Arizona State Land Department
MINERALS SECTION
1616 West Adams Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
602-542-4628
fax 602-542-3507
www.land.state.az.us
Details for each mineral category can be obtained from ASLD's Minerals Section at 602-542-4628.
**Note: Recreational mining or mineral collecting on State Trust land is prohibited
---
Well that last part settles that...  No mineral collecting (rock hounding).  D'oh!
Mark
Vail, AZ