[meteorite-list] Arizona fall

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:24:57 +0200

Yes Jeff,

in a positive sense, cause meteorites are certainly no resources.
And else I can't find meteorites mentioned at all there.

And if I follow the sentence (according Austrian laws) about the Austrian
part of the Neuschwanstein fall, it offers an interesting aspect,
which might has to be proven first:

There they decided, that the meteorite (recovered 3 years after the fall)
had NOT became part of the land it was found on.

Interesting, isn't it?

Anyway, we can indulge in legal persnicketinesses as long as we want,
clear is,
that we will totally ruin that subbranch of space and Earth science,
the more crude laws come into force or are tried to be overstreched.

Because if not private people would pick the meteorite up - like they did
the 200 years before to deliver 90% or more of the non-Antarctic finds or
falls, who else should do it?

With West we heard that one single person from the science side entered the
field. Art Ehlmann.

Then we have a Suisse team searching Oman and that was it on Earth.
Else sporadically some university teams, who recover always not more than 2
or 3 stones, almost all old ordinary chondrites of minor scientific value.

Antarctica is fine, but they can't bring the performance the private people
are doing around the globe (that Antarcica is 100 times more expensive, one
hasn't to mention anymore) and they can't recover fresh falls.

If we want such a complete breakdown like in Australia, then we should carry
on in inventing more and more restrictions.

I'm writing from Europe, where half of the observed falls of the decade
wouldn't have been recovered or noticed at all, if not private people would
have cared for
and where the tkws of very most of the other half would have stayed very
tiny, if the private section hadn't added so many.

It should be one of the most urgent missions of the Meteoritical Society in
London to take care for politics and legislation around the world turning
back to a state of reason and to grant that the very substance of that field
of science won't be lost.

Until that isn't achieved, hunters, scientists and collectors - come to
Austria.

Gosh, we're talking about meteorites. The most whack and strangest and
rarest objects on Earth, without any cultural, economical or natural
importance. And of solely scientific interest, where the researchers are
glad and happy that people are going out to look for them.
How anyone with a brain could come to the idea to make a law for meteorites?

So - let's handle the case more pragmactically:
Let Schrader, Farmer & Co. save the stones first and the strewnfield data,
before we hang them for the crime to have recovered a new pristine fall for
science and a fall of historical dimensions for the State of Arizona.

Anybody else here, who feels the absurdity the same way like me?
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----