[meteorite-list] My thoughts on the Arizona Fall - detailed...

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

I will break this down some...
> Greg, you seem to have a good heart, but you are coming off as very nasty.>

Thanks, I do have a good heart, and I dont want to come off as nasty - its hard to get your points across how you want them to be on the internet.

> We make a living at this, now you are selling meteorites
and gloating and throwing sand in the eyes of the "big
dealers" on prices. Do you think this will help your
chances?>

I sell meteorites only to help to pay for my collection. When dealers sell stuff like ordinary chondrites for $100 per gram, unless you are rich, you all but have to sell if you want samples of the new falls.
I know what I pay for Lunar, and when I see others charging what they do, it makes me wonder - I am just lucky to get it for what I do or do the dealers really want to make that much off the collectors?
I do not want to throw sand or gloat, but I do speak what I think. It may not always come off like I want it to, but I wont hold my tounge when I have something to say.
As far as my chances, I had nasty emails over what I was selling lunar for, have been turned down many many times when I have asked for help and ideas, I dont think my chances from the well known group like you are in were good to begin with - as you said, why help out the competion?

>I am really not interested in training my competition, so I am not too keen to take people with me. This is not meant to be mean, but
common sense.>

Did Bob Haag not help you out? From what I have read and understand, he did alot. Correct me if I am wrong.
I am far from competition to you, nor would I ever really want to be. As I said, I only sell to help pay for my personal collection - So I sell a few things from time to time... look at my ebay record, then look at yours. Its a struggle for me to come up with enough material to get a power seller status to get a discount for fees!
I have really been into the meteorite hobby for 3 years, how long have you been into it? If you consider me copetition, I take that as an impressive compliment!

I was not able to make it to west, my wife was in her last weeks of Nursing school (she passed and is now an official RN!!) and I now have more time to put into meteorites. I knew you were kind enough to help a few then, I did not understand why not now.

I am eager to learn from the guys like you who for better or worse are well known and who I thought would be great menotrs of sorts... When I am constantly turned down while seeking to better myself and my knowlege on meteorites, it is frusterating as many claim to be in it for the benifit of science and learning - yet are unwilling to really help someone who wants to learn how to do it right.

I can read books all day long (which I do) but when it comes to in the field learning and hands on, books dont do it.

so, to rap up this book, I am sorry if I have offended anyone, it was not my intent. I just think that some of the people out there should remember when they were new at this and how much they wanted to learn and take part in things and consider that when someone asks to help out.
I would have been happy just being there and learning about the aspects of the hunt and documentaion - even if I came back empty handed, the trip would have been worth it to me from the experience I would have gained from it.

Instead, I am now a collector who is really considering walking away from meteorites due to what I feel is an exclusive group who is unwilling to allow someone like me who honestly wants to learn from you all to take part.

Yes, I can do it on my own, but I would rather learn from people who know what they are doing and learn how to do it right instead of blindly stumbling along before I get it right.

Hope everyone is good and had a safe 4th of July.

Greg C.