[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunting in one's own "backyard"?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 02:45:07 -0700 (PDT)

As a relative newbie to this field, I've been pouring through books, websites and videos on youtube learning more about meteorites and meteorite hunting.

There appears to be good information out there for the beginning hunter to get started. It seems that the falls get the attention and I understand the attraction of finding fresh material immediately after a fall. However it strikes me that just about anyone can hunt practically in their backyard and have the search area all to themselves.

In Richard Norton's _Rocks from Space_ in the chapter on meteorite hunting, page 315 under "The Farm Belt" he wrote "It has been more than 50 years since Harvey Nininger successfully search the farms of the midwest for meteorites. It's time to retrace his footsteps and try again. ... Farmlands in Michigan Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, and Indiana were barely touched by Nininger's search."

I'm curious if anyone has made a concerted effort to repeat his searches, both where he worked and in other areas? In the same book, it is mentioned that early on Nininger simply asked for permission to search through the rock piles that accumulate on just about every farm. It would seem to me that there are many, many farms in just about every state that could hold a cache of meteorites that are simply weathering away because no one has taken the time to look for and recover them.

Maybe this type of hunting is not as sexy as hunting for fragments that brand new fall with their sleek fusion crust, but then again, one wouldn't have to travel across the country or around the world just to start searching and then be in a race to find fragments and individuals before a competitor does.

I may be missing something here but I'd be interested in hearing how many hunters actually do this, if any, and how often they turn up a new meteorite.

Thanks

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net