[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunting in one's own "backyard"?

From: mstreman53 at yahoo.com <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

Well Richard, From one who did much of that and spends more time in the field than 98% of the folks reading this...IF you are independently wealthy don't have job, education, or family obligations ,have the free time to spend 24/7 on the search for 3 to 4 years and are willing to accept the odds of >10% of less success, willing to sleep in the cab of your truck, then sounds like you have a plan as good as any.

If you want to improve your odds don't even start out until you have personally looked at/examined 500-1200 meteorites, reviewed the photos of 2000 more meteorites and 3000 meteor-wrongs, read 100-300 linear feet of journals including half of it plain ole mineralogy and petrology.?

If you ever think you would like to take a short cut and just run down fireballs then to improve your odds some more,you'll need a fundamental survey in infra-sonics, seizmographic theory and how to locate and read seizmograms, Geo-science Information Systems human/eye physiology/psychological perception, navigation, including reading topographical maps and using a circular slide rule to compute displacement by winds aloft, a bit of trig and survey course on the techniques of surveying or artillery. Meteorology , physics plus a basic chemistry understanding--Folks WILL ask you questions on every imaginable topic.? Like it or not you will be an ambassador for science.? Accident Scene Investigation and Intervierw skills translate over to interviewing witnesses.

To make meteorite hunting productive most casual hunters also hunt fossils, minerals, arrowheads and take wild life photos so they will have something to show for their time afield.

Don't forget to include cemeteries in your search plan: grave spoils are better than stone walls in my opinion.

You might take another more productive path and read the archives of the metlist. Re Moraines, rockwalls, rock piles, etc.

Regards,
Elton