[meteorite-list] GIVEAWAY FREEBIE! - First Responder Gets It...!!

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 15:29:10 -0400

Hi List!

Everyone can stop replying. We have a winner - Bernd Pauli! :)

I received several correct responses, but Bernd was the first (by
barely a minute) to respond with all 3 correct answers.

He are the questions and answers :

1) Okechobee is one of 5 approved meteorites from Florida. Okechobee
was found in 1916 under somewhat unusual circumstances - it was not
your typical find. Where and how was this L4 meteorite recovered?

As stated in the Catalogue of Meteorites -

"Fragments weighing about 1kg were brought up in a net some 0.75 miles from
the shore..."

Apparently this meteorite was underwater and raised by fishing nets.
Now, what are the chances that a fisherman was going to see this
apparent ugly rock as a meteorite and think to save it? I'd love to
know the full story of this recovery. I can imagine that an L4
chondrite laying on the bottom of a body of water would be heavily
oxidized and covered in algae. It probably didn't look like a
meteorite at all - especially to a fisherman. Why didn't he throw it
back?

2) Which of these lunar meteorites has the longest measured cosmic
exposure age? Dhofar 025 or Kalahari 009?

Dhofar 025 by far - Kalahari 009 is one of the youngest of cosmic
exposure ages.

3) 1979 was a busy season for Japanese meteorite researchers in
Antarctica. How many meteorites did they find that year in the Yamato
Mountains area?

A close number would suffice here. The Catalogue of Meteorites states
that 3690 meteorites were recovered. The Met Bulletin states a
slighty different figure. I would have accepted any number 3600 or
greater. Bernd nailed it - he must have a copy of the Catalogue
handy. ;)

My thanks to everyone who responded!

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG