[meteorite-list] A Curator Replies

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:01:20 +0100

Also we should never underestimate the contribution made to science by
collectors! This is particularly true of meteorites, if no-one collected
them, and created the resources needed for hunting them, our museum
draws would actually be much emptier I suspect - Yes the market price
would (arguably) be a little bit lower but how exactly does that help
find more meteorites??

Imho, one of the reasons the market prices keep going up (particularly
with historic artifacts) is newly found stuff simply flows in one
direction into museum collections and archives. further limiting the
market availability, this will only get worse if the supply of material
to collectors gets even further choked off, by stupid blanket laws -
for example if museums where allowed to trade and sell off some of the
artifacts that are not needed then the market value would drop to
sensible levels.

(Ironically, there are countless thousands of useless orphaned
contextless artifacts, that can serve no useful purpose sitting in
museum draws all over the world, some are probably worth a small fortune
on the open market - surely we should consider using some of this to
fund much more important work, before we target private collectors).

I believe we actually all have a personal responsibility to only keep
and collect what we actually need to collect, museums included, that way
everyone gets the chance to own these treasures without needing a
mortgage, After all there is only so much to go round.

Mark