[meteorite-list] - "witness" to July 6 Fireball PA

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:35:52 -0700 (PDT)

 On Thu, 7/9/09, Darren Garrison <cynapse at charter.net> wrote:
> >Meteorites are worth 5 cents a gram to $1,000 a gram,
> depending on how rare they are, Arnold said.

> Three guesses which figure any property owner reading that
> is more likely to ask for...

ROTFL MSOMN ( Rolling on the floor laughing milk squirting out my nose)

Thanks I needed that Darren, great timing.

I remain baffled at what looked pretty simple plotting and aiming sent me in such a different direction. I don't see how so many distant observers felt and saw a fireball coming from an almost opposite direction from what they reported. Then again test results and beauty contestants show Americans are geographically illiterate compared to the rest of the world.

Thanks Steve for the efforts to find hard data. This will be one for the books. Early on I got a feeling this fireball came in from the east coast, stopped, backed up and took a right and turn to the north just going by the blog entries I read.

Hopefully, our folks are closing in on any debris. Speaking of debris a lot of dust is generated in these trails that settles to the ground after the event so someone please remember to sample the surfaces of felled trees, gutter spouts, etc. looking for micrometeorite spheres. Just one more technique and data set to consider which we might be able to work back from to refine trajectory.

Elton