[meteorite-list] A Curator Replies

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:36:25 +0100

Hi Peter,

I understand your point, and I agree with what you are saying entirely,
and I am obviously not advocating a great sell off of important museum
items (that would be tragic), but is it not the case that pretty much
all new material recovered from archeological digs is kept and stored? -
(granted perhaps not always specifically in museums, as there are many
groups involved with artifact retrieval), but it just seems a shame to
me, that however well meaning, to me so much material is still
'seemingly' locked beyond (easy) public access, as there is only a very
very small amount of public display space at the end of the day (this is
the route by which 99.999% of the public have access to material).

You curators do a truly wonderful job, and are always very keen to allow
access, no question of that. I think the problem is probably one of
public education and perception, most of the public have no idea if
their local museum would let them route around in their collections, and
most have no way of knowing what is even in their local collections.

If they could sort the inevitable security problems out, I'd love to
see meteorites and other items on display around places like the London
underground, or at my local supermarket, or in my local high street..
why not?

Best,
Mark