[meteorite-list] - "witness" to July 6 Fireball PA

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:23:56 -0400

Hiya,

It has been my experience that editorial desks to do not want canned
quotes from press releases for feature stories any more than the photo
department wants to rely on canned publicity images. If it's a
remotely serious publication, they will not base the story on the
press release when the story and frequently it's barely referred to---
as this is contrary to journalistic ethics. A press release is all-
too-frequently merely the bait which attracts an assignment editor and
it starts and stops there. Publications hope to create their own
content. Sometimes a story will be almost entirely predicated on a
press release but this is rarely occurs except in trade mags,
community listings, small community papers, etc. It's difficult to
control content or perspective....hence the notion of "spin."

All best and good luck. If I didn't have to travel overseas later
today for my day job I would most definitely be out there with you.
Jealous and wishing you much success!!!