[meteorite-list] PA fall media hype

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:34:05 -0400

Hi Mike and List,

I agree on a couple of points here and disagree on a couple.

First, I don't think the Meteorite Men "hype" is bad for meteorites -
it raises awareness that meteorites exist. It never ceases to amaze
me how many seemingly-educated people have no clue what a meteorite
is. I mean, really, how can people not have the faintest idea what a
meteorite is? Then, when you explain the "shooting star" principle,
it dawns on them and you can see the recognition in their eyes - they
have no idea what the word *meteorite* means. It's staggering. I'm
talking grown adults with college educations and standing in the
community - with an utter lack of basic science. The Meteorite Men
show raises awareness and gets people of all ages curious about
meteorites - it might be responsible for a few of your recent eBay
sales. (perhaps) I've had people email me and ask me about the show
and I have nothing to do with it - they just assume that as a
collector and small-time dealer that I know about the show. That's not
a bad thing. Mike, do you honestly mean that if a television network
offered you a show about meteorites, that you would view that as a bad
thing? I've seen some veiled and not-so-veiled sour grapes directed
at Geoff and Steve for that show, and I think a part of it is
professional envy and rivalry. Whatever differences some people might
think they have with the Meteorite Men, I can honestly say that I have
never heard a bad word about Geoff or Steve from anyone in the
collector community. The only bad things I have heard on occasion
come from other dealers or hunters who are competing with them for
finds, sales and attention.

As an aspiring armchair hunter with dreams of one day doing what Mike
and the other hunters do, I understand there is good press and bad
press. I think all can agree that sensational stories about million
dollar meteorites and hoards of pushy hunters trampling over private
property is not good for the field of meteoritics or the hobby of
collecting meteorites.

I think it's a very good idea to make some kind of FAQ sheet for the
public and the press - to dispel common myths and educate the public
on what a freshly fallen meteorite looks like (and a weathered one for
that matter). Meteorites are becoming trendy - there are more and
more documentaries on the various cable networks that deal with
meteorites, asteroids, impacts, and related subjects. Seeing stories
in the media about meteorites is going to become a more common
occurrence - and the whole 2012 and Apophis events are going to fuel
that further. I think as collectors, dealers, hunters, and
scientists, we need to be proactive and make sure we get correct
information out there. If the sensationalists are going to be
prolific, then we need to be more prolific.

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG