[meteorite-list] Meteorite Laws/Ebay

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

I am reposting this a second time with a new subject line because I am sure that some people are interested but never read the last posting due to not being interested in my personal ebay problems enough to bother opening the dozen't email on the topic

I have had 5 people email me privately with a message saying something to the effect of "Whats up with pearls - and could meteorites be next", so I will email the group rather than individually?
Answer is be afraid - be very afriad.
Apparantly the laws concerning the export and import of pearls are "complicated" so ebay has decided to no longer allow them (But there are still some listed on ebay and the "Trust and saftety" department told me it would be a security violation to give me this information - because people might use the info to circumvent those rules) so who the hell knows what ebay is up to. Even their own employees are kept in the dark (Presumably for security reasons)
I was told that it is illegal to export pearls from French Polynesia directlty into the USA (Whats up, has obama got a new dislike for the french? - if I promise to never ever again use the term French Fry can I then list tahiti pearls again?) and that I should look into the laws regarding pearls in my own country before I sell anymore.
So, I am told that conflicting and complicated laws are responsible for pearls getting prohibited from ebay.
Hmmmmm. Complicacated and conflicting laws? That wouldent also apply to Meteorites, artifacts, coins, collectibles - not to mention leather pants (Countries where cows are sacred) or a free press in general in some countries would it.
Ebay was started to sell laser pointers if I remember correctly. Maybe eventually thats all that will be allowed again.
Me thinks that people should start diversifying from ebay as quickly and as much as possible. Paypal to (Nobody has ever had problems with paypal of course).
I now have 1700 auctions that disapeared and ebay tells me sorry, shit happens, now just be a good little boy and relist them all again so we can collect more ebay fees - and if we decide to end them all without telling you why and keeping all those fees again, well, shit happens.
Spending a lot of time looking for non ebay ways to sell right now
Cheers
DEAN