[meteorite-list] Astro Mikes meteor streak Photo

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 22:08:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I am retracting my early statements that Astro Mike's image is of an aircraft. He was kind enough to provide me with the original RAW file for me to examine. This allowed me to look at the image at full resolution and at full bit depth. I too own a Canon 20D, which is the camera he used to make his image.

By having the original image I could take a closer look at the trails and it is pretty clear to me that he indeed imaged the last stages of the bright flight as the body broke up.

I had one last question for him, which concerns the time stamp. The camera encoded 12:03:51, which if I remember correctly marks the beginning of his 181 second exposure. I have asked him to confirm the camera's time is set correctly, but obviously we have no way of knowing the exact moment when the object passed through the field during this long exposure.

I am still awaiting his reply.

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net