[meteorite-list] How far away can a meteor be heard?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:08:46 -0500

Hi, Al, List,

    The electrophonic sounds of meteors are not
at the radio carrier wave frequencies. They are
at the frequency of sound waves, except that they
are EMF waves instead of acoustic pressure waves.

    The electrophonic sounds that people hear
are the acoustic waves ("sounds") produced by
natural objects stimulated by those EMF waves
to vibrate at acoustical frequencies.

    They can be heard over radios, but they are
much more easily picked up by feeding an antenna
signal directly into an audio amplifier (with the
widest possible range of frequency acceptance),
thus translating low frequency EMF waves directly
into sounds of the same frequency.

    As these are very long wavelengths, the best
antenna is about 400 meters of copper wire,
isolated from ground, and strung out in a line
across your back pasture (or other open area),
but any really big linear array will do.

    Other natural phenomena that produce
plasma trails in the atmosphere, like lightning,
also produce EMF waves at these frequencies.
With a rig as described above, you can hear big
lightning strikes from half way around the
planet. They're often of very distinctive types
("whistlers").

    The directly received EMF signals of meteors
are the same sounds are described by observers
from indirect natural electrophonic reception, like
"bacon frying." Actually, lightning produces those
same electrophonic sounds, like "bacon frying,"
before an up-strike. If you're close enough to hear
lightning's electrophonic sounds, you are in a
very bad place to be.

Sterling K. Webb