[meteorite-list] AD, New Meteorite Men Collectible on Ebay Closing on Thursday Night

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:05:28 -0400 (EDT)

To all from a "newbie",

What MikeG has published from the "peanut gallery" is pretty sage commentary. I'm one of the "newbies" who has been chasing sites on the web and crusing eBay buying "nickel and dime" specimens. Fact is, I have bought "nickel and dime" meteorites from Steve and Mike and MikeG and a half dozen other dealers on the "List" here, and in Europe and the Orient. That's where newbies start... and you know what happens after they have filled their cabinets with the cheap compulsory examples and read the right books, accessed the data banks, subscribed to the pubs and read your on line stories and "wowed" over your finds? Eventually, they have the good fortune to tap into the "List"..as I did a few weeks ago. What an amazing resource! The science is right there for me to read and see..and free! Wonderful dissertations by respected and credentialed professionals..the very names in the books. ( Incidentally, Martin's letters are in a class of their own.) Why, for a while there I thought I was back at Indiana U. in a gra
duate program...Well, at least until I started reading the contentious posts about the Arizona and the Pennslyvania falls and the ongoing "dust up" over the pros and cons of "hyping" the marketing of space rocks, the personal digs, ill concealed expressions of envy, borderline slanders and finger pointing... then I knew I was back in school...kindergarten.

Count Deiro