[meteorite-list] Ivan "Skip" Wilson -One of Americas Great Meteorite Hunters

From: michael cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:01:50 -0700

Hello,

Some of you know him, some of you have heard of him and many of the
newer members of this list should know about him.

Ivan Skip Wilson is one of the most successful meteorite hunters in
the world. He has personally found over 130 meteorites from Roosevelt
County, New Mexico, only a few of these were paired. He has been
hunting in that part of New Mexico since the 1960's and Glenn Huss,
(Nininger's son-in-law) called him the Great American Meteorite Hunter.

When I first started to hunt meteorites, I made a journey to see him.
He is a kind man and he shared his wealth of information with me and
even gave me several locations to hunt. He showed me exactly where the
Macy meteorite had been found and told me there were more pieces out
there. I learned a lot from him and he sold me many great specimens at
great prices, which helped to establish me in the business of
meteorite buying and selling. A remarkable human being who is always
sharing stories, generous with his meteorite knowledge and gifted at
finding lots of meteorites. There are probably only a few of the Oman
and North Africa meteorite hunters who have actually found more.
However, it is the spirit of a fine human being willing to share their
gift that stands out the most about Skip Wilson.

I would suggest to any of the new and up and coming Hunter/Collector/
Dealer folks out there to pay your respects to one of our elder's in
the world of meteorites and one of the finest of meteorite hunters.
In fact there is no one on this list who has found more meteorites in
America than Skip Wilson.

Best Wishes

Michael Cottingham