[meteorite-list] Ivan "Skip" Wilson -One of Americas GreatMeteorite Hunters

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:33:38 +0200

Finally someone else enunciated it!

"pay your respects"

Many thanks, for that Michael!

When I was a beginner long ago, I never would have dared to scream: burn him
on the stake in public, if a person, who found so many meteorites wouldn't
have answered right in the same evening, when I asked, what had happened
with my 2$ meteorite.
At these times one hadn't to be afraid of being ridiculed by one's
fellow-collectors as ass-kisser (such expressions I read on the list), if
one appreciated the achievements of a meteorite person in public.
It was unthinkable that the sources of the most exiting meteorite finds
would have been called amateurs, looters, extortioners, criminals or even
cameleers.
That was the climatic change of the recent times I found fault with a while
ago and which I personally observed more with the recent collectors
generation and also with some younger scientists. If I remember how the
latter were elated on the shows about the new desert finds a few years ago
only, how they purchased them and wrote their papers about, then it's
especially difficult to understand for me, how they think they have to treat
now the very same persons.

Other thing is also always a little bit pity.
That most get their respect paid not before they have more than 80 years or
have passed away.

Wasn't here suggested a Hall of Fame?
Maybe it could also include the living?

On the other hand I guess that wouldn't be possible.
A few of the fanatics would regard a collection of hunters' portraits as a
circle of hell, while even worse others from the prohibition fraction would
see that thing as a welcome presentation of the warrants of apprehension of
the most wanted ones,
cause their unpayable and unquestionable merits and work for meteorite
sciences and community, was partially driven by those into illegality in the
very recent years.

I would wish, that we could once return to the more civilized company
and conduct of the not so far past.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----