[meteorite-list] WHO IS THE BEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL METEORITE HUNTER OUT THERE?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:10:07 -0500

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:28:32 -0400, you wrote:

>I think everyone can agree on some general criteria of what makes a
>great hunter -

I would define a great meteorite hunter only by how many meteorites he finds.
When you start adding all sorts of arbitrary personal caveat to the term, then
you are trying to shape the definition to specific people. "Well, yes, he found
more meteorites, but they were in Antarctica, and everybody knows meteorites are
in Antarctica!" "Okay, so he found 1,000 meteorites-- but he didn't answer my
e-mail for TWO weeks!" "Well, he tracked down 5 new falls, but he wouldn't
travel 1,000 miles to talk to my Cub Scout troop unless I paid his expenses!"
People are adding "yes, buts" to the definition right and left to arbitrarily
exclude some meteorite hunters so that it gives more credit to the ones you
personally favor.

Personality has nothing to do with it. If Osama bin Laden found a dozen
meteorites in Afghanistan, he'd be a better meteorite hunter than Jesus Christ
(given that there is no mention in the bible of Jesus's meteorite hunting
skills.)