[meteorite-list] Pitiful excuse for a meteorite hunter Carl Esparza

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:32:24 -0700

All:

I would think there should be some kind of meteorite hunting
etiquette when
someone discovers a strewn field/or any cold find. Whether it?s a certain amount of time or when
the person, who makes the discovery, decides to release the information (note:
at some point I think they should, because if some meteorites end up on the market
then that would certainly appear as being greedy). I know if I discovered a meteorite (whether it was a fall or a cold
find) I would like to gather all the science I could, perform the mapping and
get any classifications done before anyone else came. I would probably invite people I knew and
trusted to assist me. However, if it?s
on BLM land, I could not stop anyone from searching the area ? if they discovered
it on their own and did not follow me.
So I guess it just boils down to what you think is the right thing to do
for both the science and the study of meteorites and whether your own conscience
may bother you at night.

Just one other thing ? I think all of us as meteorite hunters should work
together; it certainly would be more beneficial to both the hobby and the study
of meteorites.

Just my pennies worth,

Greg S