[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunting ethics

From: Joe Kerchner <skyrockmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:32:55 -0700 (PDT)

Rob and List,
        There is nothing "illegal" about the way Carl found it, Just cuz somebody makes the first find, no matter who it is does not own the strewnfield, not by any means, unless it is on his property. If not it is fair game, just cuz it is in AZ they feel the need to sccop it all up for them selves, thats not right, they can use any excuse they want, I see it as selfish, who is to say Carl will not get GPS coordinance and in situ photo? After the way Jack, Mike and the other acted, I would not give them any info on my finds, they are not doing the same for anyone else. This fall just shows the true colors of some of the hunters. Like you said, when Jack invited Farmer he knew there was a chance that somebody may find the strewnfield cuz he is so high profile. He took that chance and it happened. Carl did not putr a beakon on Mikes Car. There are no written Meteorite Hunter Rules or Ethics, Like mike said it is a blood sport. just MHO
Best Wishes,
Joe K