[meteorite-list] Gleanings from the latest MAPS abstracts - July 2009

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:28:46 -0400

Hi Folks!

While reading through the latest MAPS supplement (abstracts for the
upcoming Meteoritical Society meeting), I ran across some interesting
tidbits I'd like to share and get some comments on.

First, congratulations are in order for Lawrence Grossman for being
awarded the Leonard Medal for 2009. The Leonard Medal is awarded for
outstanding contributions to the science of meteoritics. I think we
can all agree that Lawrence has indeed contributed much to the field
and this medal is certainly well-deserved.

Next, our friend Peter Davidson (Curator of Minerals, Scotland Natl.
Museum) will find this abstract of interest - "Weathering of the
Glenrothes Meteorite (H5), The First Scottish Find". This study
examines the differences and similarities between two diverse
weathering environments - the Saharan Desert and Scotland. What is
surprising, is that there are considerable similarities found.

Fans of LDG will find this abstract interesting - "On Some
Micro-Textural Features of Libyan Desert Glass With Dark Schieren".
BSE images taken of select areas of LDG specimens shows microscopic
flow structures and zircon grains.

Here is one with an interesting title that I wasn't expecting to see -
"Mythological Artifacts Made of Celestial Bodies - A Buddhist Deity of
Meteoritic Iron" - this focuses on the "iron man" sculpture carved
from iron meteorite and in the possession of an Austrian collector.
I'd love to see some photos of this piece. Does anyone have one?

Of interest to hunters - "Near-Earth Asteroid/Meteoroid Impacts :
Prospects for Linking Telescopic Observations with Recovered
Meteorites" - in an attempt to replicate the plotting/recovery success
of 2008 TC3, the Spaceguard Survey is being examined for ways to
streamline and improve the system for the recovery of meteorites. The
current Survey has a ~10% chance of observing an incoming impactor and
plotting it's impact location, once per year. This could be improved.

Antarctic find RBT 04133 was originally classified as a CR2, but now
this new abstract demonstrates it is a CV3 that has experienced mild
thermal alteration - and that it shares some CO-like characteristics.
"RBT 04133 : A New Unusual Carbonaceous Chondrite"

Martin will be delighted to hear that the Germans and Austrians have
discovered a new area of meteorite concentration in Antarctica. Or,
should one say they re-discovered an area where the Russians found
Lazarev. The Germans undertook an expedition to the Queen Maud Land
region of Antarctica and recovered 16 meteorites (mostly L, LL, or H
chondrites) - one of the meteorites was a 31kg iron! (I'd like to see
a photo of that one) - further exploration of this area may yield more
results.
"Discovery of a New Meteorite Concentration Site in Queen Maud Land, Antarctica"

This one should prove interesting - "Are CI Chondrites Cometary
Samples? Olivine as a Diagnostic Tool" - in this study, it is
demonstrated that CI carbonaceous chondrites exhibit close affinities
with particles gathered from Comet Wild 2. In fact, olivine
compositions in the CI meteorites more closely match Wild 2 than other
carbonaceous types. Does this mean that the CI class will be revealed
as cometary in origin?

There are many more interesting abstracts that I just don't have time
to share right now, including - an argument that the Atacama desert is
the densest meteorite area in the hot deserts, the first LL-L
chondrite (NWA 5764), and something about a rare meteorite (one of
only 2) that has a high level of water in it. (Can someone please
point me to that particular abstract, I can't seem to find it now).

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

--
Michael Gilmer (Florida, USA)