[meteorite-list] What got you into meteorites?

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:45:28 -0700

Greg/List:

How did I get into meteorites?

It perhaps started way back in the ?70?s when a good friend of mine who was a mineral enthusiast got a job at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC, and I remember him telling me that diamonds (carbon) had been found in iron meteorites; Wow? I thought that was very interesting. It also was about the same time I was writing a research paper (for English class) on the theory that a large meteor crashed on earth, resulting in the extinction of the dinosaurs? very fun to write and I think I received an ?A?.

Years later after many years of fossil and mineral collecting on the east coast, I began to read about meteorites and I remember seeing ?The Meteorite Man,? Mr. Bob Haag on TV and in a few publications. Later I moved to Austin, TX pursuing an engineering degree and began to do more research on how to buy meteorites - It was the early 1990?s and there were few dealers and I also was living on a limited income. I do remember looking in the TX desert and I also looked for Tektites (never found any) throughout the ?90?s.

Then in 1997, I was driving to California for a summer internship and I went to the Meteorite Crater in Arizona. It was during this drive across the country, when I stopped at a roadside stand and bought a small ~25 gram Canyon Diablo meteorite; I still have it today. The next year I bought a second Canyon Diablo, which is 225 grams.

After graduating from the University of Texas, I got a job in Bakersfield and began hunting the deserts there and found my first meteorite (a 15.8 gram chondrite) in 2006. Since then I have found many more and I read about the different varieties of meteorites when ever I have free time.

I have collected fossils and minerals since I was a boy, but I think meteorites are so unique and out of this world, that they have become my primary focus of my mineral collection.

Everyone,

Enjoy Hunting and happy 40th anniversary (July 20th) of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Greg S.