[meteorite-list] 8 Month Anniversary of Buzzard Coulee - Any signof export permits?

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:02:26 -0700

Mike Gilmer posted:

> Is anyone still combing that strewnfield? (or is it all cultivated
> farmland by now?)

Dear Mike:

When Lisa and I were hunting the Buzzard in late April, the landowner
told us that the ground would be planted "within a few weeks." They
grow canola in those fields, and he told me the stalks get quite high
and are densely packed.

Rob Wesel and Mike Bandli were there shortly after us, and those guys
are no slouches : ) In addition a very friendly eight-person team
from the University of Edmonton were methodically gridding all 800
acres. They told me they would continue hunting every weekend for as
long as they could. So, I would imagine the field has been quite
thoroughly searched by now. There was additional land south of us, but
that had been tied up by one of the other Canadian universities. I
noticed in one of the university bulletins that student volunteers
were wanted for additional hunting during the summer, so I wouldn't be
surprised if hunting is still in progress on uncultivated land.

I posted this back in the spring, but for anyone who is interested and
hasn't seen it, our Buzzard Coulee photo journal:

http://www.aerolite.org/expeditions/bc/buzzard-coulee-meteorite.htm

One of my favorite meteorite hunts ever. Good times indeed, even with
the snow : )

Cheers to all from Tucson,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org