[meteorite-list] Basalt-Like Inclusion

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:45:24 -0400

Dear List,

I've dusted off this stone out of my box of NWA Unclassifieds, and I think it's worth sharing.

It has an interesting achondritic inclusion making up abut one third of the 97.2 gram mass, which appears similar to a basalt with skeletal ilmenite crystals.
The achondritic portion is not magnetic, and the chondritic portion is moderately magnetic.

The series of pictures can be viewed here:
https://cid-b8a3e8caaac69704.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Achondrite%20Chondrite
https://cid-b8a3e8caaac69704.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Achondrite%20Chondrite

A second click on each photo opens full resolution.
Both the scales are millimetre.
All are wet with isopropyl alcohol for enhancement of details.

I suspect the copper-coloured features (clearest in pics 6 and 9) to be oxidised troilite.
Most are 1 - 2mm dia.

If memory serves, didn't someone else on the List post pics of a similar matrix, within the past year?

Opinions welcomed.

Cheers,
Pete