[meteorite-list] The NWA 500 complete slice pictures

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:34:27 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List,

Darren Wrote:

I was just looking for the pictures/story about the full slice of NWA 5000 in the megacool sealed contraption, but all links I'm finding are broken. Anybody have a working link?

Our answer:

We removed references of NWA 5000 from the website due to advice from our consultants. The display system was designed and machined by Steven Domonkos Sr., Sr. Research Engineer, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington for us. Steven, who is now retired, fabricated this flawless display ring to encase the world's largest slice of the moon.

A poor copy was produced by Al Lang who gave credit for its design to Nelson Oaks of all people. A watch company in France, not only copied our portal idea, they went as far as referencing Jules Verne, something we have done from the beginning. It seems very few have respect for others intellectual property and designs.

This slice is now referred to as the "Ambassador Slice" since its primary purpose, was and still is, to promote meteoritics in a positive way. It has been loaned out to several institutions free of charge. The last time it was on display was in Chicago where NASA Apollo astronaut and Moon-walker Charlie Duke used the piece as part of a presentation.

Some may think it is alright to copy others hard work and ideas but we draw the line when our designs are commercialized. They should have at the very least given the original design team credit. The "Ambassador Slice" was intended for non-commercial promotional purposes. Not a single penny has ever been collected for loaning it out.

Best Regards,

Adam