[meteorite-list] Gotta love freedom of speech

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:38:09 -0700

Rob McCafferty posted:

> I got hauled over the coals because I didn't do a risk assessment on
> the likelyhood of contamination by microbial life from another world.
> Some jackass in the H&S department thought he knew more about
> science than me.

Dear Rob:

That would be an absolutely hilarious story if it weren't also a
tragic example of pig-headedness (not sure if that's a real word?).
What's next: No laughing allowed on Sundays? I wouldn't be a bit
surprised.

I once did a high school science fair demo about meteorites and
meteorite hunting, and the lady organizing it was all worried about
radiation. I assured her there was nothing to be concerned about, and
that the florescent lights in the high school gym were likely putting
out a lot more radiation than the meteorites. At least the school
people I dealt with were nice about it.

Anyway, good for you for letting the kids touch a piece of the moon,
and -- in my experience -- receiving an "official warning for
misconduct" is frequently a measure of original thinking and good
character : )

Salut,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org