[meteorite-list] Example of Lipping and direction stumper. TAKE 2

From: James Baxter <jbaxter112_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:58:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hi McCartney,

I'm betting on lee side. I've seen quite a few oriented stones with radial flow lines on both sides with the lee side showing, in all the cases I've seen, the fainter lines.

Here's a quick few photos of the first one I could put my hands on, a little Chergach I got from Geoff Notkin:

lee side:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=Chergach10-6gramleeside2.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=Chergach10-6gramleeside1.jpg

windward side:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=Chergach10-6gramfrontside.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=Chergach10-36gmNotkin08100853-26MAL.jpg

With my quick and dirty photos the lines look a lot fainter than they really are(compare Geoff's photo of the front to my more humble effort).

Cheers,
Jim Baxter