[meteorite-list] Stranger in my cabinet.

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 03:01:32 -0400 (EDT)

Hello List,

I picked this specimen up off the desert pavement in Southern Nevada several weeks ago. If you take a look...you who are hunters...will probably agree it was worth bending over for. It was not attracted to a strong magnet. (I know, probably not a meteorite), but I put it in my pouch anyway.

It's 51 x 40 x 38mm and weighs 90gr. On a cursory examination (scope hasn't arrived yet) it appears to have the morphology of something thats been subjected to intense heat, pressure and aerodynamic influences.... possible orientation, pitted surface, a prominent base bald spot, guttering, flow lines, melt, exterior all over burnt patination. A window steel filed by me shows interior sheen with a white inclusion. Filings are rust colored. It doesn't look like the basalt and other volcanic material around here...I'm reluctant to chuck it into the meteorwrong box without asking someone more experienced to hazard a guess as to what it is and how did it get that way.

If you wish to opine...take a look: http://members.cox.net/countdeiro/

Regards to all,

Guido