[meteorite-list] Example of Lipping and direction stumper. TAKE 2

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 03:42:41 -0700

Hello McCartney, All,
I would agree with John Kashuba's suggest that what you are seeing is
an effect of airflow on the trailing edge of an oriented stone. I
have seen examples of similar features on several stony meteorites,
including NWA 869, Chergach, Amgala, and most clearly on an unnamed
NWA in our collection (a good 3-400 miles away from me at the moment,
so I can't manage photos).
While I did at first toy with the idea that such lines were the result
of an oriented stone that "flipped" while in flight, the markings
simply don't look like flow lines on the leading edge of a stone; they
are more pronounced, and thinner.
While I would agree that the formation of such features seems
unlikely, I would like to point out that the "flipping over" of a
stone in ablative flight - occurring without ablation taking place
during the flip - seems even less likely - at least to me.
Regards,
Jason