[meteorite-list] PA Fireball Meteorite Possibly Found!

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:45:10 -0400

Meteorite Hunters,

I just wanted to send out a big thank you to all of the responses I
got on this. Over 20 in less than 15 minutes!

All of your responses are 100% consistent with each other.

I appreciate the feedback, that's why I sent this out to the list.

The guy, sounds like he has been into meteorite hunting for a while,
has a collection etc. He also said it was magnetic. I am familiar with
what meteorite's look like. I've bought about $4,000 worth of them
since this thing started. I've also found enough non-meteorites since
this started to know they [non-meteorites] are pretty common.

Is it possible:

1) this is a different type of meteorite?

2) its a meteorite from an older fall? (this has been suggested).

if its not a meteorite what is it (A peice of slag as farmer points
out... (i've been burned by plenty of slag already...))

what would you think it is if you believed this man's story? Why
would there be an impact crater? The guy says he's going to take it
into the maryland science center for them to check it out.

I trust the opinions of the true experts, I don't claim to be one.
Whether this is truely a piece of the meteor or not, its still part of
the story.

All that being said, thanks for saving me the time of driving out to
see this guy. The time this weekend will be much better spent in the
safe harbor region (at least that's what I'm thinking right now).

Thanks,

Mike