[meteorite-list] Insuring shipments: fors & againsts

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:07:55 +0200

I must agree with Matteo.

Whenever I had insured some parcel containing
mineral or meteorite samples (I insure on very,
very rare occasions), although the packs were not lost, I had problems in
- delays (packs quenched at the customs for long, long time),
- taxes to pay (sometimes "prohibitive", though I
agree it is a minor problem far less harmful than loosing the precious stuff)
- and mostly through checking the contents by the "cautious" customs officers!

Indeed, I use to say that they probably "play
basketball" with our beloved (and fragile!)
samples, by handling them without any care.
Imagine the tiny slices resistance....
And this, not counting their wet and greasy hands
running all throughout the fragile irons.
Something to wake up for sure any dormant Lawrencite (or alike) disease!

This being, and as I suggest to most of my
suppliers (especially from the US) with whom I
have business since decades, please just put on the customs green tag:

"(geological) ROCKS for (scientific) study (research), no commercial value"
  (options in parenthesis)

This means the supplier obviously should never
write on the customs tag (declaration sheet)
"METEORITE" but also not "MINERAL" either
(mineral specimens are known by customs to have a commercial value!).

Indeed, what resembles better a meteorite than a
"simple geological ROCK" ?. A basalt is a basalt
and I defy any customs officer to discern its
Martian, Vestan or Terrestrial origin ("who is that Mrs Vesta ?")
Believe me this always worked so far with 100% efficiency.
Not any loss noticed for hundreds, perhaps
thousands of transactions since...the early
1980's (mostly minerals at the time, as
meteorites started to be sent that way since 1992)

Well, this is of course a statistic statement,
neither a suggestion, certainly not an advice
(imagine my responsibility!) for any of you.

I therefore also always specify in a selected way
the procedure to adopt for each particular trade
or purchase, in full agreement between the supplier.
And I also respect the customer's suggestions
(whatever they be) when I send my own stuff.

Logically, if I suggest not to insure the parcel,
it is entirely at my own responsibility and I fully accept to take the risk.
Luckily this never resulted to a loss.
Better, parcels always arrived rapidly without any checking (in 99+ % cases)
Of course I may possibly benefit from my position
as "teacher and researcher in a mineral chemistry
lab", but yet, I also never got any loss or
damage when parcels are sent at my private
address as well (here again, as I live in a small
village, I might be known as an eccentric or
"lunatic" collector of "ugly rocks"...but still...).

Understand me well, I neither prone or discourage
insuring parcels, just wanting to describe some
"fors and againsts" regarding insuring parcels
containing our beloved and so precious ROCKS (from space!).
Each case is different, risk zero does not exist
and custom officer's behaviors are just
unpredictable, especially in these crazy and uncertain times...!

Good luck and thanks everybody for past and
future comments on this important topic.

Zelimir