[meteorite-list] Dealers, Sellers: Please INSURE your shipments

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 20:10:43 +1000

G'day list,

I've personally received many packages from Argentina and never had a
problem. But I do have an interesting story about some packages that went to
the US. This is going back a few years ago but on one occasion I sent TWO
IDENTICAL packages which were both meteorites to the US at the SAME TIME.
They were both sent using ECI which is an EMS international door to door
courier. It is also trackable on-line through every step of the way down to
the minute that each process happens. The packages were both packed in the
same size box and put into the satchel.

Both were given the description "Mineral/rock specimen for study" but one
was insured for approx AUS$1400 dollars and the other was given a $0 value.
They all went through the same processes within minutes of each other.
Cleared through Australia and sent to the US, arriving at LAX, going to
customs and then... gone!!! The $0 value went through to the receiver
without problems but the $1400 package completely disappeared at LAX!
(Neither package had any documentation either.) Insurance covered the stolen
package but that's small comfort when a unique specimen was lost!

Cheers,

Jeff