[meteorite-list] Dealers, Sellers: Please INSURE your shipments

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 21:54:40 -0400

Hi Gary and all,

Good thread! Just a note to dealers who are licensed merchants and are in
business, we had one dealer on the list who recommended to a buyer he should
have insurance on his package. The buyer declined the insurance. The package
was lost and when the buyer demanded his money back the dealer said no
because he had decline the insurance. The buyer then filed a suit against
the dealer and the court's judgment was the dealer is ultimately responsible
for the package until it reaches the buyer. The dealer was out the value of
the specimen, shipping, and court costs!!

This was a USA case so don't know about overseas orders. I know that many
dealers were having trouble when shipping to Italy several years back. This
is when I decline to ship anything there. The post office would ship global
priority just about anywhere else but Italy so it told me there was a
problem within that country. Not to put down the highly respected people
there on this list. Just the way it is.

Buyers have certain rights with credit cards but right now I am fighting
with an old card company I dealt with as after three years someone tried to
charge something to that old account. They reactivated it (can you believe
that) and just because they have my information they are saying I have to
pay up. I have a little surprise coming there way if they don't start making
sense. Best to all!

--AL