[meteorite-list] Panspermia, Reverse Panspermia & Life In Space

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:29:17 -0400

Thanks to Eric for starting this discussion. It's been great reading
- pass the popcorn. :)

One thought from the peanut gallery - what if we (or some other
species) accidentally "terraformed" a world by contaminating it with
microbes? Imagine if a world like Mars got infected (so to speak)
with a CO2-eating microbe that releases oxygen? Here the line between
panspermia, contamination, and terraforming gets a little blurry.
What if an intergalactic RV mistook our world for a dumping station
and left us with the gift that keeps on giving? We may end up doing
the same - intentionally or accidentally.

Best regards,

MikeG