[meteorite-list] The tale of a falling star

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 23:57:09 -0500

Doug said:
> I am thinking [of] Greece, Cyprus and Turkey, but no meteorite comes
> to mind.

I'm sure Doug named those places because
there were famous meteorites of religious
significance associated with sites there. While
it is true that their whereabouts is presently
unknown [and will likely remain that way), there's
no doubt whatsoever about their existence.

So, no, no ancient ruins "yielded" authenticated
meteorites. You see, there was this obscure
religious cult that took over and tried, with great
success, to destroy all traces of any previous
religious worship, temples, shrines, relics, and
so forth.

No meteorite survivors of Greece and Rome are
known.

However, there are pieces of the "Black Stone" of
the Kaa'ba, a meteorite, in Turkey (by a List memeber):
http://kauscience.k12.hi.us/~ted/Blackstone/hajar-al-aswad.htm

The meteoritic nature (or non-nature) of a famous
Temple stone is discussed by another List member:
http://imca.repetti.net/articles/IMCA-Insights4.htm

Evidence in coinage of Temple stones, some of which
were meteorites, can be found here (more List members):
http://www.pibburns.com/catastro/metstamp.htm#classicalcoins

A discussion of various meteoritic Temple stones can be
found here (Popular ASstronomy, 1936, at ADS):
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/1936PA.....44..514W/0000514.000.html

Traditionally, the Classical Temple stones were
"nose-cone" shaped. In a word, oriented (if they were
meteorites). There is a fascinating discussion of why
the baetyls that are found are not actually meteorites.
The explanation? Lots of shrines, but not so many
meteorites!
http://www.ancients.info/forums/showthread.php?t=845

Everybody wants a meteorite for their Temple, ya know?

Sterling K. Webb