[meteorite-list] LDG Schlieren spelling

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:27:34 EDT

OK, so the word is schlieren. Defined by Wikipedia as:

Schlieren (from German; singular "Schliere") are optical inhomogeneities in
transparent material not visible to the human eye. Schlieren physics
developed out of the need to produce high-quality lenses void of these
inhomogeneities. These inhomogeneities are localized differences in optical path length
that cause light deviation. This light deviation is converted to shadow in
a schlieren system.

But,.............
I don't see how that relates to meteoritic dust imbedded in Libyan Desert
Glass.

Anybody??

Anne M. Black
_http://www.impactika.com/_ (http://www.impactika.com/)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
Vice-President, I.M.C.A. Inc.
_http://www.imca.cc/_ (http://www.imca.cc/)

In a message dated 6/10/2009 7:44:34 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
mlblood at cox.net writes:
Thanks to Bob & Jeff: "Schlieren" it is.
Thanks, Michael

> From: Michael Blood <mlblood at cox.net>
> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:14:49 -0700
> To: Meteorite List <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] LDG clarification
>
> Hi all,
> A few years ago it came out they had discovered meteoritic
> Material in some of the Libyan Desert Glass (the specimens with
> Dark streaking). It am trying do discover the spelling of the name
> By which it was called: SCHYRIN (Sp? ) Scherlyn (Sp?) what?
> Anyone know the spelling? (I would think some of the others
> On the list would also be interested).
> Thanks, Michael

**************Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop: Now in 6 vibrant colors! Shop Dell?s
full line of laptops.