[meteorite-list] Military intelligence-- still an oxymoron.

From: Fries, Marc D <marc.d.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:25:22 -0700

Yeah, I saw this article. For some reason the press tends to go
extra-special whenever they report on military matters. My favorite part
is this:

>> The upshot: Space rocks that explode in the atmosphere are
>> now classified.

Yeah, that's it. You're not allowed to know that meteors exist. Why, that
makes perfect sense, and I'm sure that's exactly how the rule change was
phrased.

It seems more likely that someone decided that a clever observer could
discern important details about our technical capabilities from the
information handed out to meteor watchers and decided to clamp down. It may
be a temporary change while they review the policy, but you can't tell from
that magnificent piece of professional journalism.

Magnificent.