[meteorite-list] prehistoric artifact made of meteorites

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:18:37 -0700 (PDT)

Pierre, Here is what I have on the topic but not the details you seek perhaps.

During parts of Desert Shield, I was in Israel and visited the shop of a widow who's husband was an artifact broker/collector. This was right across the street from the US Embassy which was then in Tel Aviv. I've never found what became of her and her shop.

She had no information as to where and when this artifact I am about to describe was acquired, as she like many other citizens were packing up and leaving given the impending hostilities. In her possession but alas beyond the "strictly US Dollar cash" I had on hand, was an embellished artifact which I instantly recognized as a small iron meteorite about 2 inches long with substantial terrestrial age probably less than a 10,000 but more than 2000.

It appeared to have been partially press or hammer forged to the extent that a deep pocket had been forced into the center. The rim showed cracks and distortions pointing to the center pocket. The pocket itself had a perfect symmetry. In the pocket was a goldmetal-lined, half-cup and within the cup was a ruby red, dimly transparent glass(?) cabochon-like stone mounted flat face up. On the face was a "rampant horse" engraved into the face showing traces of gold leaf in the channels. I understand the horse theme dates the artifact to the Hellenistic Period(332-315 bce).

The local Hellenistic Period was several hundred years after the two, three or four middle eastern "Iron Ages" depending on the historian. I recall some discussion that the first iron age was thought made possible using a major iron meteorite fall and when that material was exhausted there was a break until terrestrial iron ore mining and smelting came of age. I understand it is well established that many Damascus Steel Knives and gun barrels(?) were made from meteoric iron--much as most Pennsylvanian and Kentuckian Long Rifles were made from the Cosby Creek Tennessee iron.

I have personally seen two Georgia Tektites which had been knapped into scrapers. From this we can infer that humans are opportunistic and given to using gifts from the heavens in whatever techniclogical or artistic means they had.

Speaking of middle eastern artifacts, somewhere in my stored collection I have ordinary flint, knapped artifacts from Saudi Arabia collected during Desert Shield.

Owing to creation-timeline beliefs in which these artifacts fall well before the creation of the earth, in Saudi Logic, they simply do not exist, nor did any prehistoric human activity. I forget the exact phrase they use to describe the inland uninhabited regions where these were found but, it too includes a logic that the land or the ancient tribes also do not exist. Perhaps someone remembers the terminology? The non-existent old ones?

This is the same slick logic-system that when confronted with cultural conflicts regarding US Service women driving in a country where women are not allowed to drive vehicles, declared them "men" for the duration thus defusing the conflict. I think western politicians must have picked that trick up from the Saudis.

Elton